2009年3月12日星期四

February 6, 2009

Come here often?
Come here often?






This one's for my brother...
This one's for my brother...







Coming out on the catwalk triggers some bad guys below, a few more Chimera came around a corner after I slid down a ladder, and then I got ambushed from behind when I climbed up the ladder on the other side of the blown to bit section of catwalk. Getting past this point came down to remembering how to effectively use health packs (the current generation's reliance on regenerative health has ruined me) and discovering the combination of weapons I liked the best. Sure my machine gun was great for picking off the bad guys below me, but I needed something to kill a little bit faster on the second leg -- thankfully, the Auger Rifle can see through the metal column the Chimera were primarily using for cover.



Experimenting like this with the shields, alternate fire, and other touches in Resistance: Retribution is fun, and it's about time I had some of that on my PSP.



My hands-on time tonight reunited Grayson with Cartwright, his former commanding officer in the Marines. When the two meet up in a cutscene, Cartwright gives Grayson hell for abandoning the squad, but there are bigger fish to fry because the final bastion of humanity in Europe -- we're talking about Luxemburg -- is falling to the Chimera and our duo's got to get Dr. Bouchard out of there and to safety.



The first step in this journey took me into the bunkers beneath the city -- dusty tunnels protected by thick metal doors that you probably caught a glimpse of in Fall of Man. Anyway, Cartwright and I started making our way down the tunnel when a bunch of Chimera and one surly Brute advanced on the front door that two grunts couldn't keep closed. With bad guys filling the shaft, I ran over to a box and let the game move me to cover. When the Brute turned the corner, I popped up with my grenade launcher and fired off several rounds before dropping back to safety. The explosives damaged the big guy, but his smaller minions took the brunt of the damage. The leviathan kept advancing, and when he got close to me, I popped up with my shotgun and began blasting.



The final shell dropped the enemy. He would've easily killed me if my shot hadn't ended him.



Continuing on, Cartwright and I split up so that he could manage the front while I secure the generators in back. I walked onto a catwalk suspended above a factory floor, and the Chimera started coming. This is one of those points where I was able to relish Retribution. See, when I came in, the game marked a checkpoint. I didn't know this, but as I went on to get killed several times and restart there in the next few minutes, I quickly became aware of the impromptu save. Obviously dying and having to play the same portion of a level over and over again can be a chore, but it worked here for a few reasons -- one of them was that this wasn't that hard. I was just screwing it up.





February 6, 2009 - I have no doubt that Resistance: Retribution is going to be good. Yeah, taking a first-person shooter and turning it into a third-person shooter with an aim assist and a heavy emphasis on cover is a pretty big change, but the fact remains that every time I have sat down to play this title, I've had a blast.



Tonight was no different -- and I even got to try a level no one else has.



If you're just dusting off your PSP and coming back to all things portable from Sony, I'll bring you up to speed. Acting as a bridge between Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2, Retribution puts you in the shoes of James Grayson, a former British Marine who abandoned his squad to go after Chimeran conversion centers after the death of his brother. The game is being made by Sony Bend and has that PSP Syphon Filter feel to it, although the team's added an automatic cover option and hit box for easy aiming.



Related:

没有评论:

发表评论